Friday, August 13, 2010

Faithfulness

"God does not regard His servants according to the dignity of the office they exercise, but according to the faithfulness with which they exercise it." -Gary Thomas, Sacred Marriage              
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                                                                                                

Dishes, cleaning, cooking, and watering plants have comprised the majority of my time lately. They have dominated my life. Mundane chores suction my time in the spaces between the naps Sunny demands of me.

I have felt especially cynical this week. I wonder what the point is of sweeping the kitchen floor when it will just need sweeping again once I cook the next meal. Why wash lunch's dishes when dinner preparations will make the same dishes dirty all over again? What is the point of anything I do?!

This afternoon, as I read the last chapters of Sacred Marriage, the above quote jumped out at me. It means a lot mostly because other people don't see the value of ordinary things I (along with billions of other people... especially wives and moms) do every day. No one frequently (or ever) walks into my house and says "Ana! You've done the dishes! How good of you!"

But, God sees what we do. He sees every little thing we do. Even the dishes. Even wiping the bagel crumbs off the table and refilling the soap dispensers. He sees our faithfulness and it makes Him happy regardless of how insignificant the job.

1 comment:

  1. that's a beautiful reminder, Ana - and you are VERY right
    PS thank you for being a good hostess the other night when we watched The Soloist - you deserve thank you's

    ReplyDelete